Posture Breakdown- Virabhadrasana II (Warrior 2)
About the posture
Warrior 2 is a classic standing posture that is commonly seen in yoga practices. It represents the warrior Virabhadra slaying the human ego.
How to get into the posture
- Start from standing in Mountain Pose (Tadasana) and take a big step back with one leg. Align your back foot with the short edge of the mat so that your toes point toward the long edge of the mat. Your front foot should be straight with the toes pointing forward.
- Bend your front knee to a 90-degree angle above your ankle. It is important that your knee doesn’t collapse towards the inside here (this can put undue stress on your meniscus). Instead, the midline of the kneecap should track in line between your second and third toe.
- Ground down through your feet as you externally rotate your front and back thighs. This will also help to stretch your hip flexors.
- Ensure that your back leg is straight. (If the back leg is bent, your knee will collapse towards the floor.)
- Allow your hips to lower down and lengthen through your sides.
- Raise your arms parallel to the floor with your hands in line with the shoulders. Lift your chest upwards and allow the chest to broaden. Turn your gaze (drishti) over the front fingertips.
- Keep your spine straight. Ensure that your body is in a long vertical line.
- Hold and breathe deeply for 5-10 breaths. Repeat on the other side.
Modifications for Warrior 2
- Use a block under your front foot
- Bring hands to hips instead of extending arms to sides
- Take a smaller bend in your front knee (less than 90-degrees)
- Use a chair for support with balance
- Stand with your back against the wall for assistance with alignment
- High Blood Pressure
- Heart Palpitations
- Severe Knee pain or injury
- Severe Neck pain or injury
- Severe Shoulder pain or injury
- Weakness in the hips or legs
- General weakness in the body
Benefits of Warrior 2
- Stretches and strengthens arms, legs, and torso
- Stretches your hips, groins and shoulders
- Opens your chest and lungs
- Builds stamina and concentration
- Energizes tired limbs
- Stimulates your abdominal organs
- Helps relieve backaches
- Develops balance and stability
- Improves circulation and respiration
Try warrior 2 today and see how strong and stable it allows you to feel!